Wednesday 5 November 2008

CHRØNICLES ØF NEVER: Interview with Gareth Moody

Photobucket
Photo: Melissa Hom

Gareth Moody
is an Ex-Ksubi frontman who launched the Chronicles of Never line back in 2007. His latest collection represents a darker, more mature shift that extends from men’s and women’s clothing and shoes into unisex jewellery, with bold geometries and heavy shapes. Enjoy our interview with the man itself.

HPDC: Hey Gareth, what's up?
GARETH MOODY: Hello

HPDC: Tell us something about your background and your role at CON?
GARETH MOODY: I was born in Sydney Australia, I also happen to currently live in my place of birth. Actually have not studied beyond my years at school, I decided to tackle things in a trial and error type arrangement, to date it seems to be working. My role at CHRØNICLESØFNEVER, well I'm the founder, director and designer, so I suppose I'm multi-tasking at present.

HPDC: What inspires you right now?
GARETH MOODY: Life.

HPDC: What are you currently working on?
GARETH MOODY: I'm currently working on the Nthn Hem SS2010 collection.

HPDC: How do you create your designs?
GARETH MOODY: I'm more of a hands on character, Im also a little old fashioned, I illustrate everything by hand, pencil to paper. I prefer this method of design.

HPDC: Where do you produce your stuffs?
GARETH MOODY: For the most part we produce in Australia, approx 75% of the collection. Certain components such as the knits are made offshore, in HK.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket

HPDC: Can you point out any particularly significant pieces in your collection?
GARETH MOODY: In the current collection ( ØDE TØ THE Ø ) I would have to say the leather story is the stand out in the range.

HPDC: How would you describe your own personal style?
GARETH MOODY: I suppose its a mix between modern/minimal and old world.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket

HPDC: Do you have any philosophy or strategy that affects CON?
GARETH MOODY: Nothing set in stone. Although focus and dedication to creating the story is very important to me, this is an unspoken rule, the story needs to be relayed through the products themselves and through our everyday actions within the company. I am very particular about the picture we are painting. I suppose in a sense this is a strategy, but I don’t really like looking at it like that, its a conscious creative choice.

HPDC: What kind of work can we expect to see on CON S/S 09?
GARETH MOODY: You can expect too see more of the past and pieces of the future.

HPDC: Who do you think is the most interesting designer or brand today that you would like to work with?
GARETH MOODY: Gareth Pugh.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket

HPDC: What are your interests and hobbies?
GARETH MOODY: Mother nature, and spending time with her.

HPDC: Do you personally have any idols?
GARETH MOODY: No

HPDC: What are you listening to lately?
GARETH MOODY: Nick Cave

HPDC: Any last words to anyone in Indonesia?
GARETH MOODY: THIS IS NØT THE BEGINNING.