Sunday 3 June 2007

Style icon: Natasha Khan

This Brighton, UK-based Natasha Khan outfit unleash a dark and magical potion of folk, fantasy and an assortment of intense emotions.
Read the interview by Imogen Fox below..







Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Who are you style inspirations?
Sun Ra, who was a crazy jazz musician. He told everyone that he came from Saturn and he used to wear cloaks, too. Also, I'm quite into this band called the Cockettes: they were bearded men who used to dress up in glamorous drag with glitter on their faces and they wore headdresses. I loved the way my mum used to dress in the late 70s and early 80s, though unfortunately she hasn't kept any of those clothes. My dad used to bring me gold jewellery and sequinned shalwar kameez back from Pakistan - I'm not into that tacky Bollywood thing, but I think that influence has helped me to be a bit more exploratory.

Have you ever hidden behind clothes?
I've hidden behind my hair more than clothes. Sometimes having long hair with a fringe is very useful when you don't want to look at people. I used to have very short hair, but long hair is my thing - a black nocturnal shield.

What is the first thing you notice about other people's appearance?
I like it when people make an effort to wear things that you wouldn't normally put together - I like eccentrics.

What do you wear when you dress down?
A couple of vest tops and a pair of shorts. Maybe I'd be tempted to put a brooch on, but I don't think you can be dressed crazily all the time.

Do you have a huge wardrobe?
I have lots of clothes that I don't wear because I'm bad for impulse buying. They sit in my cupboard looking forlorn, but if I haven't worn something for a couple of months I usually realise that it would be much better off in one of my friends' wardrobes.

Do you share clothes with the rest of the band?
We swap clothes and make up. Getting ready together is a ritual before the show - it creates a sisterhood feeling and it breaks down ego. You just want to make each other look beautiful. We try to give each other opinions on what is flattering. Stage costumes put you in a particular state. There's an element of protection in the outfit and costumes fit with our music, which is quite enchanting. I also think it helps the audience to see the costumes work with the music.

Do you ever go out without such dramatic make up on?
Yes, all the time. I don't mind. If you wear make-up all the time, when you do take it off it makes you feel less confident. So, it's good to go out and expose your beauty for what it is, and not worry all the time.

What is your favourite item of clothing?
I'd have to say my boots because I wear them constantly. They were quite expensive but I knew they'd be an investment. I don't like to be too submissive in the way I dress. I like quite boyish things, so I hardly ever wear high heels. I don't like being really tall; I'm about 5ft8in without heels, but I'd rather be a really petite person.