Friday 24 October 2008

Sophomore: Interview with Chrissie Miller

Photobucket

Sophomore is a New York City label founded by Chrissie Miller in 2003. After received a growing amount of demand among celebrities and retailers, she's teaming up with designer Madeleine von Froomer, who recently worked for Proenza Schouler. Sophomore has expanded its offerings from a single tshirt to a full contemporary New York vibe collection. We really like the look of this brand. It has a real simple edgy downtown attitude. They are timeless. Anyway, here's our interview with Chrissie Miller and see what she told us.

HPDC: Tell us about your background and main interests.

Chrissie: I grew up in New York City on the Upper East Side (very gossip girl), went to private schools. I then went to art school and studied film, art and sociology. After school I wanted to be a graphic designer, so I experimented with making graphic t-shirts for my friends, which is how Sophomore began.

HPDC: Tell us a little bit about the early days of Sophomore - how did you get things started?

Chrissie: I made some shirts for some friends and my friend Charlotte Ronson sold them at her store. A friend of mine wrote about them and we got lots of store orders, so it became a job. Last year I wanted to expand the line in to a full sportswear collection. I met Madeleine von Froomer, who was designing at Proenza Schooler at the time. She was a perfect fit.

HPDC: How did you get your label off the ground?

Chrissie: It was very organic, we expanded as we grew. We stared with one t-shirt and as we sold them we made more and more and so on...

HPDC: When did you realize you wanted to become a fashion designer?

Chrissie: I've always had a passion for fashion! It was something I was always doing but not really realizing i was doing it, sewing clothes remixing vintage dresses, making t-shirts. I think it found me.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket

HPDC: How would you describe your work?

Chrissie: I am never not work! I work all the time, even when I'm not at work I'm thinking of ideas, researching, looking at other designers. Always looking for inspiration.

HPDC: Tell me about you S / S 09 collection? What can we see from Sophomore next season?

Chrissie: Spring is very bright and sexy. Lots of cut out and zippers!

HPDC: Who are the coolest designers at present?

Chrissie: Balenciaga, YSL, Balmain

HPDC: What is your typical day like?

Chrissie: I wake up late, like 10am. Get to work by 10:30 (I live a few block from my office). Work until I'm done which can be 6, 7 or 8. Go home, there are usually always people hanging out at my house which is nice to come home to. Then I go out to dinner with friends and maybe go out or just watch Oprah and pass out.

PhotobucketPhotobucket

HPDC: So what music are you listening to at the moment?

Chrissie: The Virgins, The Kings of Leon, Lissy Trullie, The Doors

HPDC: Where can we usually find you in NYC?

Chrissie: On my couch or at Lit, its close to my house so I go a lot!

HPDC: Any last words?

Chrissie: Go out and VOTE!!!

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket

Don't forget to see the entire Sophomore Fall 08 Collection here.