Monday 26 March 2007

MCGINLEY'S MORRISSEY

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
FROM FRANCE TO MEXICO, LATELY WHEN THE MYTHIC MORRISSEY TAKES CENTER STAGE, NEW YORK PHOTOGRAPHER RYAN McGINLEY IS SOMEWHERE IN THE CROWD PHOTOGRAPHING. A NEW EXHIBITION CELEBRATES THE MOZ AND ALL OF THE HEARTS BEATING FOR HIM

What initially attracted you to Morrissey?
RYAN McGINLEY When I was about 12, my older brother Paul was really into the Smiths. I loved the cover of Meat Is Murder, and I took his record and taped it in my locker at school. I didn’t really get into the music until I was 16. My friend had a brother who was one or two grades ahead of us who listened to Morrissey. We all wore Doc Martens and big army coats and sat in his basement listening to it. I couldn’t believe how someone so far away could speak so directly to me. How he could speak so simply, addressing so many of the issues I was dealing with. He’s having a laugh and, at the same time, he’s being deadly serious. He has a way of saying exactly what I need to hear. These are my songs just like they are everyone else’s, but they are still mine.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
How did you make your photographs different from the usual concert shots?
RM The idea was to capture the feeling from a fan’s perspective attending a Morrissey concert. The great thing about shooting him is that he’s so active. He knows about the drama and opera of performance. He invented those classic Smiths moves, whipping around his microphone cord, shaking his hips, and throwing his wrists back and forth in the air. All of my work is people performing or being active in front of the camera, so taking pictures of Morrissey made perfect sense. Photographing the concerts is my way of expressing my appreciation to him.
What is your favorite Morrissey song?
RM The song I most relate to is “There’s a Place in Hell for Me and my Friends.” I’ve always thought that it could be the theme song for my life.

Photography Ryan McGinley
Courtesy Team Gallery, NYC

“Irregular Regulars” runs through February 10, 2007, at Team Gallery, NYC.
For information: www.teamgallery.com